Thursday, April 08, 2010

Interview with Cate (Sparrow Review)

Cate is the fun and friendly blogger behind Sparrow Review, which is one of my favorite book blogs. I started following Cate's blog last summer, and I'm always excited to read her posts, whether it be a book review, movie review, or something else!

I recently got the chance to interview Cate, and I really enjoyed reading her answers and getting to know more about her. So today I present to you... Cate!

How did you get started in blogging?

The first book blog I ever came across was (the very lovely) Squeaky Books, which I read avidly from the beginning of last year. After a few months of following, I was inspired to put my own love for reading on the internet. And, after brushing up on my computer skills a bit, Sparrow Review was born.

What is your favorite part about blogging?

Honestly, the book blogging community has opened me up to so much, as far as just how many young adult books there are to be read, and how many others also share a love for reading. At my school at least, there are very few students that enjoy reading, so I find that being able to discuss books with the bloggers makes up for that in a way. I truly don’t think book blogging would be very fun if there wasn’t anyone to share ideas or sa-wooooon over the latest Sarah Dessen love interest with. In short, the bloggers themselves and the community we make is my favorite bit. :-)

List three words that describe you.

Loyal. Creative. Traveler.

If you were thrown into a dungeon for ten years and could only have one book with you, what book would you choose?

Oh, cruel question!! Hmmm…I think I would probably end up with the 7th Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Partially because I love the writing, and partially because the whole horcrux explanation still mystifies me. Ten years should give me enough time to figure it out, eh?

You mention on your blog that you love fairytales, including retellings. Which fairytale is your favorite and why?

My favorite fairy tale is probably The Little Mermaid. Oh, how I love that story. When I was little we lived near the beach, and I remember playing mermaid on the sand, haha. (I think it’s true that being an only child gives you an awesome imagination. ;P) Plus, in the real story, the mermaid gives up her life because she cares so deeply for the prince. It’s not a mushy happy ending; which is much more true-to-life, no matter how we hate to admit it.

Pick any fairytale. If you could change one thing about it, what would you change?

I know this is cheating a bit, but if I were able, I would make it so that in every fairy tale the princes/princesses would actually get to know each other. In almost every tale, there’s ‘love at first sight.’ And then all of the sudden the princes are willing to risk their lives for a girl they may have spoken to for only a moment, just because she was beautiful. What if she were a complete ditz? I know that love at first sight is a wonderful thought, but I don’t really think I believe in it. Perhaps attraction at first sight is a better-suited term? I would appreciate the love story much more if it weren’t based on a single glance, or a hazy recollection.

So true! Are there any fairytale retellings you recommend?

No doubt my favorite retelling is The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. She has the most gorgeous, descriptive, fluid writing I have ever read. I would even go so far as to say that it’s my favorite book. Let’s see…I also adore Edith Pattou’s book, East, which is a retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon. It’s lengthy, but beautiful.

(Psssst - The Goose Girl and East are fabulous. If you haven't read them yet, you're missing out!)

A magic genie has granted you one wish. What will you ask for?

Assuming that the ‘a thousand more wishes!’ wish is banned, I would have to say that I would ask for the dream vacation mentioned below. Currently, I am saving for another amazing trip, similar to the one I described.

Describe your dream vacation.

A round-the-world trip with one of my good friends would be absolutely amazing. We would eat in Parisian cafĂ©’s, watch the Grecian sunset, climb the Great Wall, and scuba in the Great Barrier Reef. I imagine it would be an entire summer experience, filled with lots of museums and bookstores and photo ops. *sigh*

That sounds amazing...Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?

I know that after I graduate in high school, I want to go to college and major in English. After that, I’d love to get a job working at a publishing company; maybe start out working as a copy-editor, and work my way up. That’s the dream. :-)

Lastly, what would you do if you met a giant, talking worm in the forest?

I would run the other way, no question about it. Worms make me cringe.

Thanks so much for having me, Priya!!

Thank you so much, Cate!

4 comments:

Nonie said...

Yes, Cate is awesome. :D

Kirthi said...

Great interview! It's interesting to know that you were with Squeaky Books from the beginning.

Your dream vacation sounds amazing, I would so want to go :D

Cate, you're a great blogger and friend!

Erin said...

nice interview...and yes, Goose Girl and East are wonderful. =)

Cate said...

Thanks so much for interviewing me, Priya! It was so much fun :D