Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Missing Socks

Edge has challenged everyone with a fun writing prompt:

What happens to all the socks that go missing between the washer and the drier?

Here's my response:

The fairies take them.

There are several reasons why they do this. First of all, although the fairies are a highly capable species and can fly up to 700 mph, they don’t know how to make socks. So they take the missing socks and cut and reshape them to create their own miniature fairy socks. They’ve actually opened up seven sock factories around their realm, and all the workers get clothespins for their noses.

Secondly, the fairies love snow. They love to look at it, they love playing in it, and they love basically anything to do with snow. Unfortunately for them, they do not get snow. They get sun, rain, sleet, and sometimes hail or freezing rain, but never snow. So, one day, an ingenious fairy had the idea to manufacture her own snow. Taking the dirty white socks she found between the washer and the drier, she filled them with water and then put them in the freezer for a few days. When she took them out, they were frozen solid and looked exactly like snow. Of course they didn’t feel like snow, but she was still relatively happy with the way her experiment had turned out. She spread the word about the “snow” and opened up eight snow factories in order to spread the joy. All the workers wear Santa hats with jingling bells.

So next time your dirty white socks go missing, don’t bother searching for them. They’re going to a good cause (you do want money under your pillow, right?).

**
Teehee. I had fun writing that. And if you want to do it too, you still have time! More details here.

5 comments:

emily said...

Haha *laughs*! That's funny! Next time, I promise not to go searching for my white socks.

Nikki Carson (Katie) said...

Nice, Priya!

Beth Kephart said...

This is hysterical. Got it. Now I need to tell my son, the sock loser.

Jen said...

Cute, I always thought the cats got them ^_^

Crystal Mills said...

The company I work for, Gift Services INC just came out with a new product... it's completely ridiculous, btw... and I'm in charge of writing the blogs and creativity going into it humor-wise. My boss sent me on a mission to track down creative bloggers that would be willing to help us by receiving our product (we'll mail it to you), "testing it out", and writing about it. Our company is well-known world-wide, and our site is www.GiftTree.com. I came across your blog during my hunt, and I found your story about the missing sock theory and I can't tell you how perfect you would be to help us. LOL


The product we're working on is called the Sacrificial Sock and it's more geared toward being a gift to make your friends and family have a good laugh. So far we've gotten a really great response from it(!) BUT, the owner of our company wants to explore a new avenue of advertising using social networking, blogs, and the like. That's why we need you..

Visit the site, www.SacrificialSock.com


Read the entire site over, look into all of the topic tabs at the top so you can get a feel for the "serious humor" that we're going with :) We're not uptight and looking for specific things, we just need any and all creative and witty help we can get. The only thing we ask is that you have a blog page (so we can see that you have a knack for writing), a mailing address, a sense of humor, and wearing socks is a plus.



So if you'd like to help shoot me an email ASAP and let me know that you're up for it! I'll need your mailing address that we can send the Sacrificial Sock to, and then I'll mail you the product so you can use it and get your creative juices flowing and draw your inspiration from it. My favor would then be that you write a blog on the product. I can email you a sample of a testimonial just so you might be able to get an idea of what to write. You don't have to go based off of the example, I just know that sometimes it helps to get an idea of what others have sent in. Also, if you know ANYONE that also blogs that you think would like to help, LET ME KNOW!

-Crystal Mills
Business Development
www.GiftTree.com
1.800.931.3620 Ext: 254