Friday, November 05, 2010

The Lost Hero

by Rick Riordan

The Lost Hero is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series, which is the successor to the wildly popular Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. In The Lost Hero, we get to see new demigods as well as old. Percy, Annabeth, and their friends are still in the series and play major roles, but we have new main characters: Jason, Piper, and Leo (all demigods). And they have major obstacles coming ahead - an ancient enemy worse than Kronos is rising, and bringing the dead and all kinds of monsters with her.

The Lost Hero, although it didn't quite match up to the previous Percy Jackson books, was still a good beginning to the series. Riordan has made several huge leaps in his story, and although I'm not too fond of them, they did keep me entertained. The writing was just as good as usual - the humor felt a little forced, but I'm putting that down to the new narrators, who are a lot more flawed (and a bit more annoying) than Percy. There were a lot of twists in the book, and the ending was a depressing cliffhanger that will probably make everyone go, "What??? Noooo!!!"

It probably sounds like I didn't like the book very much, because I'm pointing out all its problems, but I really did enjoy it. I can't wait for the second book and if you're a Percy Jackson fan as well, this is a must-read.

4 comments:

Nonie said...

I liked how Rick Riordan broadened his world even more with Roman mythology, though it was kind of creepy. It's fascinating how the mythology reflects their culture - Romans = warlike, hence the war obsessed gods, and Greeks = academic/philosophical/partyish, so their mythology is a bit more light-hearted.

Apoorva Chowdhary said...

Ooo...cool. I love the Perc Jackoson series, so I will have to check that out.:D

Edge said...

I'm psyched to see where this series will go!

Kitchen Benchtops said...

I loved the book and can't wait for the next book. I definitely recommend this to any fans regardless of their age.