Monday, January 24, 2011

The Princess and the Frog

I FINALLY got a chance to watch "The Princess and the Frog" at the beginning of January. It was such a cute movie! I didn't realize until I watched it that it was set in the New Orleans bayou. Disney did a really good job of depicting the setting and bringing it to life - I could almost feel the warm, muggy air. It reminded me of our stay at the Port Orleans Resort in Disney World last summer (the resort has a Southern mansion/bayou theme).

The story was quite unique. I enjoyed the new aspect of Louisiana voodoo, although I was a bit surprised to see it in a Disney movie. I was also surprised by some of the scenes involving the villain, like when he called up creepy shadow monsters. They were actually rather scary, and I can imagine several younger children getting extremely frightened.

However, I did like Disney's fresh take on the movie. The main character, Tiana, is not born a princess - rather, she grows up in a poor community and has to work hard to achieve her dreams. I liked all of the other characters as well, including Ray the firefly. There are no fireflies here in Washington so I have to get my fill of them through books and movies! I've always wanted to see a real firefly...

I liked some of the songs, but they were definitely a bit disappointing compared to many of Disney's other songs. I had trouble figuring out the words several times, especially since many of the voices (unique as they were) were a bit hard to understand.

The main thing I liked about the movie was the message of working hard - not just having a goal, but actually doing your best to reach it. This is something that never really comes across in any other Disney movie, so I was glad to see it here.


"The Princess and the Frog" was definitely not my favorite Disney movie (in fact, "Tangled" was much better in my opinion), but it was still adorable and entertaining and worth the time.

6 comments:

Apoorva Chowdhary said...

That movie was very nice( I watched it). :)

Verenda Harrt said...

I have watched this movie about three or two months ago. I loved it, I don't want to spoil what happened (i do that most of the time) but I also had trouble understand some of the words in the songs, but I did like the beat. I didn't watch Tangled but my sisters did and they said they didn't like it as much as they planned to. I have no say, I didn't watch it. Anyway Princess and the frog was one of the most aspiring movies that I have watched in 2010. But I also agree that the other Disney movies were better.

Nonie said...

I did like Tangled a lot more than Princess and the Frog, but PotF was sweet in its own way. :)

And no fireflies?! Would you like me to send you some over there this summer? :D

Priya said...

Nonie- yes please. :)

We Heart YA said...

I'm with Nonie on this one -- I could watch Tangled a million times! -- but this is a great discussion of Princess and the Frog, and you're absolutely right about the message about hard work. I liked that part too. :)

Introverted Thinking said...

Veryy nice blog you have here